This summer LoyalFree designed their pre-packaged interactive Dino Trail to create a free, family-friendly experience for high street visitors all over the UK during the school summer holidays. The trail aimed to increase footfall, dwell time and local spend in participating towns and cities whilst also offering a fun and educational activity for families.
The LoyalFree app was designed to increase footfall and high street engagement and is currently available in 70+ towns and cities across the UK. The app allows users to save money when they shop locally and discover exclusive deals, exciting local events and interactive trails, all from their smartphone! The app can also host augmented reality, Q&A, audio and video trails to help bring the high street to life. Our interactive trails aid the promotion of businesses and footfall into your high street while also providing valuable data and insight into participation.
A Q&A trail works by using the LoyalFree app to locate a poster, displayed at a business along the high street. Each poster asks a question, participants then scan the QR codes on the posters to reveal the answer. Some locations revealed not only a dinosaur fact but also a letter which could then be used to create an anagram once all locations had been visited. Completing the trail entered participants into a local prize draw and if they could solve and submit the anagram, they gained an extra entry!
Key learnings and results
- 17 BIDs and councils hosted the Dino Trail in their area and there were a total of 11802 trail views
- 1,170 groups of people checked in at a location
- 39% of app users who participated in the trails had 3 people in their group, only 5% completed it alone
- 82% of participants went into at least one other business on the day they took part in the trail, that was not on the in Dino Trail location list, 53% went into 2 or 3 more businesses than the trail list and 5% went in 10 or more additional businesses!
- 98% of participants we surveyed said they spent some money on the high street whilst completing the trail, with 80% spending over £10 and nearly 10% saying they spent over £50
- Over 60% of those we surveyed said they have also used other features of the app (either before, during or after the trail), such as deals, events and non interactive trail
What did the public say?
‘We loved it! Knew it was on in Bradford but stumbled upon the Ilkley one when we were there. Great fun and would do again, definitely! Thank you.’
‘The Dino Trail in Brighouse was well thought out, easy to navigate and all businesses went all in with it. Decorations and window dressings were fabulous. We had a very enjoyable day out wandering round Brighouse following the trail and general good wander around the town.’
‘The kids absolutely loved taking part in this.’
Brighouse BID produced the most successful results by going above and beyond with their summer of dinosaur activities. During the trail Brighouse hosted a Dino Experience day with full-sized dinosaurs, face painting and entertainment – in which the Dino Trail played a key role. Local businesses also embraced the dino theme by creating spectacular shop window displays alongside their A3 LoyalFree posters to excite and entice the public. Visit brighouse also partnered with local business Page Bookshop to provide 5 dino prize boxes as an incentive for participants to complete the trail! As a result they saw 263 groups take part.
If you’d like to know more about how an app could support your area then please email email@example.com to request more information. There are still have a few available slots to take part in our Augmented Reality Halloween trail, so please get in touch if you are interested.