Aberdeenshire Council launched the Aberdeenshire Gift Card in late 2021 to drive footfall into the town centres across the Shire.
- More than £1.24 million has been loaded onto Aberdeenshire Gift Cards.
- Over 400 businesses are registered with the Aberdeenshire Gift Card programme.
- The card represents various sectors, including retail, food and drink, and leisure facilities such as Live Life Aberdeenshire leisure venues and the National Trust for Scotland.
The Aberdeenshire Gift Card Programme has been used in several ways:
1. Supporting families with dignity:
- 11,300 households across Aberdeenshire received a £100 Aberdeenshire Gift Card to spend with local businesses in January 2023, positively impacting people, places and communities during the cost-of-living crisis, funded by the Scottish Government’s Local Authority Covid Economic Recovery Fund (LACER).
- The Aberdeenshire Council Employability team use the Aberdeenshire Gift Card with their clients, replacing the supermarket vouchers they used to use, giving clients increased choice and value for money.
2. Driving local economic growth (corporate sales):
- Aberdeenshire Council undertook a corporate campaign encouraging organisations to think locally with their rewards, incentives, and support.
- Cairngorm Lodges used the Aberdeenshire Gift Card for Christmas rewards in 2022 and 2023 instead of cash, as they wanted a reward that would help keep the money generated locally in the local economy.
- Fraserburgh Harbour used the Aberdeenshire Gift Card as an incentive prize for exhibition stand visitors in 2023, supporting businesses in Fraser as another thread in the tapestry of actions they take to support Fraserburgh.
3. Inclusive Local initiatives:
- Grampian Opportunities used the Aberdeenshire Gift Card in 2023 to support people in crisis, including those experiencing homelessness. Cards were distributed to service users as required, helping the charity to support individuals and their wide-ranging personal circumstances.
Find out more: lovelocal.scot